As I am studying to be a journalist, I think it is pivotal to have a list of codes of conduct that I aspire to. I hope that this will reassure my readers that whatever I write, while opinionated, is largely accurate and based on research and factual examples. All Journalists ever have is their credibility and here is my attempt at showing you mine.
These are the ethical standards that I will abide by:
- Do not plagiarize
- Report honestly, while striving for fairness and accuracy.
- Give fair opportunity for reply/comments/feedback: Being able to handle criticism/critique is a sign of confidence not insecurity
- Aim to attribute information to its source i.e. Images, Quotes, Background Information
- Disclose conflicts of interest that affect, or could be seen to affect, the accuracy, fairness or independence of your journalism.
- Images used should be a true representation of events that have taken place and should be used in context.
- Commentary should be met with the same degree of factual accuracy as news reports i.e. claims should be backed up with evidence
- Direct quotations should not be changed to alter their context or meaning